I sold my old house in 2010 and had to say goodbye to my old observatory, the Pinhead 2. I've been in the new house for just over a year now and have decided it's time for a new observatory. This time I'm going to split the difference between Pinhead 1 and 2, I will be building a Skyshed 8x10 roll-off roof observatory. Click on the photos to see a larger image.
December 28, 2011 - The pier hole has been dug and the pier poured. My boys and I mixed the cement in a small mixer. We had a small glitch in the process, the switch on the mixer broke. My oldest dumped the partially mixed load in to a wheelbarrow and finished it by hand while I repaired the switch so we were able to continue uninterrupted.
December 29, 2011 - Today we built the floor, my sons Mike and Chris helped dig the holes on the high side to put the pier blocks in and helped with the framing. After it was all level and square, I put the OSB flooring down. The Skyshed plans call for pine planking but I'm trying to keep the cost down so I went with the OSB instead.
January 1, 2012 - Framing was completed yesterday and today the sheeting went on. The Skyshed plans called for 1x10 planks but in another attempt to cut costs, I chose to use OSB that looks like T-111 and was pre-primed. That is also the siding that is on the other sheds in the yard so it matches. I also chose to not put windows in, I don't need anybody looking in to see what's in there.
January 8, 2012 - The roll off supports are up and attached. The wheels and hinges arrived on Friday but the rails were shipped later and won't be here till Monday so that's all I could get done this weekend. I did however build the gable ends, the roof rails and cut all the roof pieces to size so when I get the rails up the roof should follow quickly.
January 14, 2012 - The rails have been installed and the roof framing is complete. All that's left is the door, roofing and the boards around the walls to keep the weather out. The wife has other plans for the weekend so all that will have to wait till the next weekend.
January 21, 2012 - The roof and trim is on. For all practical purposes, the observatory is done and ready for use. It still needs to be painted. I've contracted that out to my 18 year old son so who knows how long that will take. The scope will be installed in a couple weeks. From the start of construction to ready for equipment it took 7 working days. Most of the work was done by myself with some help from my sons. I was in no hurry, I started late most days so it was warmer and worked slow, so it probably could have been done quicker.
Photos of the inside will be posted after the equipment is installed.